Wadders tend to be few and far between here at MPB Industries (knock wood).
That said, I created one today trying to make the pants from McCall's 5119, the groovy vintage 70's shirt and pants pattern I picked up last month.
The good news is I used a cotton twill remnant and, since
there wasn't much of this fabric and I knew this was a test, I made the pants as
shorts, so the loss as far as fabric goes is minimal. My ego, however -- ouch.
The curved seams on the rear and side came out great.
But the fit was terrible. Try as I might -- and I did try -- I couldn't improve it.
They were no more attractive on Michael.
Normally when I make jeans, I sew the back center seam early on. Any fitting adjustments are generally made by tweaking the side seams. These pants don't have side seams, so they have to be fitted along the butt seam. I'm glad I didn't bother with the front fly (pinned closed in the photos) or waistband; it would have been time wasted.
I may wash and dry this wadder the next time I do laundry to see if they miraculously shrink up to the perfect size. Somehow I doubt they will. Maybe the problem is that I used a Size 32 pattern and I usually use Size 30 and widen the waist a little.
In happier news, I'm nearly finished with my cotton-linen jacket. Tomorrow I'll go button shopping.
I'm disappointed about the McCall's pants but I'm not heartsick. The lack of back pockets (or deep front ones) made them less than practical.
In closing, I do hope your projects are going better than mine did today.
I'm a native New Yorker and self-taught sewing fanatic! I started sewing in 2009 and today make all my own clothes using mainly vintage patterns and vintage sewing machines. Welcome to the warm and whimsical world of Male Pattern Boldness, where the conversation is sewing, style, fashion, fabric, and more!